It may sound obvious but I see many businesses spreading their marketing messages and dollars far and wide with little or no result. The key is to start from the inside. Ask yourself, is the product or service I am offering really delivering on its promise? Are people coming back? If not, why not?
Having worked in tourism and hotel marketing where hospitality and the customer experience is key, I know that the quality of service is what can make or break a business. It’s what keeps the customer coming back for more. It’s what creates brand advocates who are more than likely to recommend you to their friends and networks. A dissatisfied customer on the other hand will most certainly tell their peers, tweet it, even shout it from the rooftops to deter others, so you need to make sure you nail it every time.
Think about the businesses you continue to utilise in your own life. Why do you go back? I bet there’s a service element in there somewhere.
So, how can you ensure you are creating the best possible experience for your customer?
1. Surprise and delight – offer something that you may not have necessarily advertised. An extra resource, complimentary add-on, a follow up phone call. You’ve probably heard the saying ‘It’s better to under-promise and over-deliver’. It’s the little things that make a difference.
2. Be consistent – this applies to your service offering as well as your marketing messages. If you say you can do X
then prove it, if you say you stand for Y then show it. Walk the talk and most importantly, do it every time. There’s no point giving it your all with one client and un-doing all your hard work with the next.
3. Be authentic, honest and real – Don’t make promises you can’t keep. Simple.
4. Get feedback – If you aren’t attracting the kind of customer you want, or if your repeat clientele is dwindling then you need to ask why. Do some research, don’t run from the truth. Use it constructively and make improvements where necessary.
5. Monitor your sales, your website statistics, your enquiries, your feedback and reviews. This will ensure you stay on top of any issues as they arise so that you can control and change these in a timely manner.
Put all your efforts in creating the most compelling service offer possible and I guarantee you’ll start to see a shift.
Is there a brand or service that keeps you going back for more? What do you love about it?